Speak About It empowers students to foster healthier relationships and build healthier communities by directly addressing issues of consent, sexual assault prevention, and bystander intervention. Our performance-based programs provide young people with the tools to speak openly and honestly about sex and sexuality.
Our powerful and thought-provoking flagship show is composed of true stories from real students, and shares wisdom from an array of experiences, perspectives, and personal discoveries. We highlight inclusive and diverse identities and real, practical strategies for sexual assault prevention. We seek to validate students’ experiences and inspire them to create change on their campuses. All our programs span a range of topics, with one clear goal: We want students to speak openly about consent and sexuality with their peers and partners.
Speak About It has reached over 300,000 students. 99% of surveyed students agree the show has increased their understanding of issues of sexual assault and consent.
Speak About It featured in the Huffington Post! “We are having a national conversation about sexual assault and consent, but we are not following with a national curriculum about sexual education and consent,” said Speak About It. “In our eyes, sex education isn’t comprehensive until it includes affirmative consent.”
A new tactic to teach freshmen about sexual assault: theater - USA Today College “We want to come in and have a conversation with the students, give them language about consent, language about bystander intervention,” says the Executive Director of Speak About It. “[We] give them tools and tangible skills to use in situations to give and get consent and to be active bystanders.”
Where in the world is Speak About It?
Follow us as we build a culture of consent world-wide!
Error: API requests are being delayed for this account. New posts will not be retrieved.
There may be an issue with the Instagram Access Token that you are using. Your server might also be unable to connect to Instagram at this time.
What Makes Us Unique?
- - We promote affirmative and pleasure-centric consent education.
- - We offer a true-to-life, inclusive view of sex, sexuality and healthy relationships.
- - We feature the stories and experiences of real, diverse students.
- - We write a custom script for your school or group.
- - We include a facilitated post-show discussion for free with any show.
- - We strive to make our shows and programs resonate with the rich diversity of human experience.
- - We acknowledge and represent a variety of sexualities, orientations, experiences, and choices.
- - We model tangible, applicable tactics for bystander intervention.
Students and Schools Love Us
“Speak About It offers high school students an honest, compelling, and realistic look at the issues of healthy relationships, sexual decision-making, and consent. The performance and facilitated discussion provide students with tools to make decisions that are consistent with their values, respect others, and protect their health and safety. This is a must-see performance for graduating students preparing to navigate independent living or college life. The show provokes excellent discussion and reflection on the part of young adults who need guidance on how to develop healthy relationships.”
- – Dr. Elinor Scully, Associate Head of School, National Cathedral School, Washington, DC
“It’s not easy to find programming that leave faculty, staff and students all equally happy, so all of us involved in scripting what the First Year Class sees and hears in those crucial first few days on campus feel fortunate enough indeed to have found you. Our First Days committee had looked for years to find the best way to talk to our newly arrived charges about what we consider to be the most important and pressing community issue on our campus, and we all feel most fortunate to have found Speak About It. Well done!”
- - David Johnson, Dean of First Year Students, Williams College
- "I was significantly impressed with the show's ability to be funny, sincere and serious. I was not expecting to learn anything from it, but I think that the demonstration skits were very enjoyable, engaging to watch, and informative. Thank you for teaching me!"
- - First Year Man
- "This was a wonderful experience, truly unlike anything I've ever experienced. The performers handled such a delicate topic with grace, aplomb, (a healthy dose of humor), and most importantly, respect. I highly recommend this to everyone, regardless of gender, lifestyle, or sexual orientation."
- - First year Woman
“Speak About It does what many people in the sexual violence prevention field previously thought was impossible: it combines humor, healthy sexuality, and consent in nuanced and entertaining ways while simultaneously treating the issue of sexual violence on college campuses with respect and sensitivity. The dialogue is real and sounds like college students talking, instead of what adults might think college students sound like. Watching the actors of Speak About It perform is fun, engaging, and students will learn valuable lessons to last them a lifetime.”
- – Cara Courchesne, Communications and Outreach Coordinator, Maine Coalition Against Sexual Assault
- "This is the best educational performance I have ever seen because it was so real and honest and non-preachy. I gained a lot of useful knowledge and tips that I will use in college, and I think that many of my classmates felt the same way."
- - High School Woman
The conversation doesn’t end with the show. We want to go beyond just teaching a lesson, we want to inspire dialogue and Speak About It with you!
Scroll through our Blog!
Wanna know where we got these cool tees? JUST ASK.
Speak About It is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that partners with high schools and colleges to educate, entertain, and empower students to create positive change within their communities, advocate for and practice healthy relationship habits, and prevent sexual violence.
Copyright 2016 Speak About It, Inc. Website by Alexandra Valleau